Sunday, March 13, 2011

They're back.......

......and right on time. Our hummingbirds arrive every year on March 10th. We could set our watch by that very fact. We have a feeder right outside our living room window and it's been in the same spot for many years. Last Wednesday, March 9th, I brought the feeder inside, cleaned and sterilized it, and filled it with nectar, (just a mixture of sugar and water that I boil for a few minutes to prevent fermentation). After letting it cool I placed it on the shepard's hook where it belongs. The next afternoon my husband came and tapped me on the shoulder and told me our little friends had arrived, right on time. How do they know?


1 comment:

Bobbie Pene said...

How gorgeous! Here in New Zealand we have native wood pigeons visit us. They are a large bird and you can hear them flying toward the house The feed off our guava tree. My husband has been wanting to cut the tree down for several years now (it does make a bit of mess) but I love watching these big birds feed then try to fly with their full bellies. Usually they sit on our shed roof and digest before flying away.